Calcaneal Spur or Heal Spur
Calcaneal spur also known as Heel spur is a bony protrusion on the underside of heel bone i.e calcaneum formed due to calcium deposits. It is commonly associated with a condition called plantar fasciitis (inflammation of plantar fascia which runs along the bottom of the foot). It mostly occurs among athletes whose activities include more running and jumping.
Causes for Calcaneal Spur:
- Strains on foot ligaments and muscles
- Stretching of plantar-fascia
- Repeated tearing of the membrane that covers the heel bone.
- Running or jogging on rough surfaces
- Gait abnormalities – which place excess stress on the heel bone, ligaments and nerves.
- Shoes with improper arch support
- Foot abnormalities like flatfoot or high arches
- Placing more weight on 1 foot
- Pain mainly while walking, running, and jogging
- Pain worsens in the morning during the initial steps
- MRI – rarely recommended
Treatment for Calcaneal Spur:
- Nonsurgical – Medical and Conservative management
- Surgical treatment
Conservative Management – Physiotherapy includes:
Includes cryotherapy, moist heat, and contrast bath. Therapist would recommend depending on the client’s condition.
- Ultrasound therapy
- Low radiation Laser (Class IIIB)
- Stretching exercises – Achilles tendon and plantar fascia
- Correction or modification of footwear
- Strengthening exercises for the muscles of foot
Precautions to follow to avoid getting Calcaneal Spur:
- Orthotic device – Night splints are recommended in combination with the conservative management
- Heel inserts or heel spur pads are recommended
- Wearing well – fitting shoes
- Avoid wearing shoes with excessive wearing on soles and heel
- If overweight – losing weight would also be helpful
If conservative therapy does not show improvement in the symptoms of calcaneal spur even after a period of 6 -9 months, then treatment moves to a higher tier.
For more information, contact the nearest Progressive Care Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation centre or call us on 040-40044266 or 9618906780
For more details contact us on 📞9618906780